Wanted to start off with a picture of my variegated lemon. LOL. I told you it looked very funny. Probably looks even funnier because of the angle that I was holding my phone. Not sure you can see it but this tree also has some incredibly wicked thorns, similar to a sour orange tree. Youch! The thing will jump out and tag you with a sticker just for thinking about walking too close. It is short and small at the moment, I'm hoping with a little extra care and feeding it will grow up rather than out and be less of a monster to have to deal with.
I've got about six or seven more trees to plant and I want to get them in the ground this week before the rainy season ends. Need to make sure those little roots are all sealed in the sand/dirt/compost with no air pockets so they don't dry out and kill the trees ... and waste the money I spent on the trees. I like my landscape to feed my family, not be a drain on the income.
My papaya and Surinam cherry are fruiting in their pots. I love the abundance but it drives me crazy that I might injure the tree re-planting it now. And my lime trees still in the pots are going bonkers too. They are small but have about a dozen fruit each that look like they intend to hang on and mature. I hope they do as well or better once I've transplanted them. Limes are getting crazy expensive even here in zones 9 and 10.
Have a new product that I really like (not a sponsor or anything it is just cool beans in my opinion). The Clorox brand that is made for outdoor use. It is concentrated so goes a long way, strong bleach smell that lingers so that will be a consideration for some, and really does what I need it to do. Instead of pressure washing the patio, porches, and other outdoor things like the picnic table I put that stuff in my hand sprayer and it did a really good job without making a mess I had to clean up. It is thick so stays where you spray it. Killed all of the algae, etc. down in the sand between the blocks, the grout of the locked blocks, and prettied everything right back up to almost new despite it being done over four years ago. Killed off all of the stuff that was trying to rot the picnic table as well and now I can repaint the wood with deck preservative (assuming it ever dries since it is out in the rain) so that it will last years longer.
What I also learned ... re-learned? ... this weekend is that someone that burns the candle at both ends isn't necessarily all that bright. That would be me. So while I did some editing on Sunday I mostly tried to finish up small tasks to knock them off my to do list and then got a little extra rest. It helped though and I've been busy as all get out today with my middle child starting college (going to school locally and for now nursing is her chosen major) and miscellaneous other stuff going on. It is Monday after all. (insert eye roll because generally people go crazy on that day of the week for some reason)
So here is what I managed to get accomplished on the stories over the last two days:
Zombies Aren't Real ... Are They?!
Up On Hartford Ridge
Larkspur in Eden
There Is No Such Thing As A Thornless Garden
When All Doors Close
Life Is A Fractured Fairytale
Mother Hen's Recipes
Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years
I'm finding this one a little hard to get formatted. First I have to clean up the old print copy I had of what I'd written for Zombie Squad. Then I have to block it down by "months" and "days". I'm trying to post each month together so the story has cohesiveness. The problem is that each "month" is so long that BlogSpot chokes on it and hangs up. So then I have to break it down ... but BlogSpot is still choking on it. I've got parts 1 and 2 up but still need part 3 for April/Year 1 and I'll try and get the third part formatted tonight.
I'm hoping that later I can edit a piece for Enduring on the Lake and Georgie. I have the parts written for both but it is long-hand and I need to type it into the computer for final editing. If I don't get to it today I'll try and put those two at the top of the list for tomorrow.
It is raining ... again ... so I decided that some indoor work is in order and while I cleaned up my desk/office space that unfortunately currently resides in the living room (pretty distracting with everyone moving this way and that around the house) I took the time to get some cheese out of the freezer and do another couple of food storage experiment. I followed the directions in the two videos I have included today.
First video here is on canning cheese. I'm experimenting with this method to see just how stable it is long term. Definitely not recommended by TPTB in the food industry but I want to check it out for myself.
Second video is on dehydrating cheese and then powdering it for storage. I'm a little leery here as well primarily because of the oils in cheese but perhaps for shorter term storage if your freezer goes bust or if you get an unbelievably good sale ... or like has happened to me a couple of times and you inherit someone's food because they seem to think I won't let it go to waste. Well I never would but it is still unusual. LOL.