Thursday, October 9, 2014

Today's Update - 9 Oct 2014

Hey, two days in a row ... getting back up to speed but still hitting some potholes.  LOL. 

I really didn't get as much writing and editing done as I wanted to.  Wound up going to an estate sale, or should I say I wound up wasting my time at what they were calling an estate sale.  Turns out it was really just an over priced yard sale.  Luckily it wasn't too far from the house and hubby and I still managed to get some other things accomplished while we were out.

Soccer practices started back up today.  I can tell where the water was standing in the fields and in between because it has killed the grass and left it yellow and nasty looking.  Some of the places are not going to be an easy fix because of the kind of grass it has to be.  Hopefully enough of us parents can figure it out and between volunteering our time, labor, and resources the recreation ministry won't have to wait too long to do it.

Taste of Home holiday magazines are out.  I like the format and presentation they use but the recipes look like replays of years past.  So if you have one of their magazines from earlier you might want to take a good look at the inside of the latest ones before you plunk down the ten bucks for so many repeats.

In fact a lot of the recipe magazines seem to be repeats this year; different presentation, same recipes.  I shouldn't complain.  It's not like I don't have a gazillion cookbooks and recipe magazines already but cookbooks are one of my few guilty pleasures.  LOL.

We have a crew coming tomorrow to finish up the carport.  I don't think I mentioned it but we were definitely not satisfied with what they did.  It didn't follow the engineer's drawings at all closely.  And their crew was sloppy.  They over torqued the screws and bolts in several places, didn't clean off their chalk and grease pencil lines, didn't place one of the posts square onto the edge of the concrete slab.  And no, they aren't getting paid until they do the job right.  I will never use an out of state contractor again but we didn't know at the time.  The business we bought the structure from subbed it out to a different contractor because they were slammed with work.  Same company, different franchise ... not the same quality of work we had come to expect.  Lesson learned but it sure has been an aggravating one.

Here's the stories that I did manage to get updates on.  Most of them have more than one addition to try and make up for there not being any additions on the other stories yet.

Up On Hartford Ridge
http://uponhartfordridge.blogspot.com/

A Bunch of Wild Thyme
http://bunchofwildthyme.blogspot.com/

Zombies Aren't Real Are They?!
http://zombiesarentrealarethey.blogspot.com/

Enduring on the Lake
http://enduringonthelake.blogspot.com/

When All Doors Close
http://whenalldoorsclose.blogspot.com/

Only two videos tonight and they are along the lines of "how do I make my life easier"?  Mostly right now I am trying to get ahead of the holiday cooking rush.  I do that by dehydrating, canning, and/or freezing items ahead of when I need them.  This first video is on how to dehydrate hash browns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkbgMcLaUak

This one is making a dried breakfast meal in a jar or pouch. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3za6PdBqx4

3 comments:

  1. Yay! More updates! Thank you!

    And thank you for the videos as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO LOVING 'Up On Hartford Ridge'! And thank you for video links! *Happy Dance* You rock, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother hen, take us away from the headlines for a few moments if you have time. Ugh, the news is awful right now.

    ReplyDelete